Monday, May 28, 2012

Crossfit

After several months of trying to strengthen my core again on my own and not having much luck, I decided to get serious and start Crossfit. For those who do not know, I would describe Crossfit as a combination of boot camp, circuit training, and Olympic weight lifting. If that does not help just search it on YouTube. It is really hard to describe.

I had heard of Crossfit before, but had not had much interest because it would be so expensive on top of my current gym membership. One of my good friends started going to a Crossfit box. She convinced me to start coming. As soon as Spring came around and I could end my membership at the gym, I signed up.

I've already been really impressed with the Crossfit gym I joined. I really selected that one based on the fact it is the only gym I'm aware of East of Seattle that has a shower at their location. There isn't a box close enough to my house where I could work out and then come home to shower again before work. So I drive to Issaquah twice a week for my WODs (Work Out of the Day). The box I joined also makes new members take a two week beginner class before joining the regular ones to make sure we learn proper form and can keep up.

I have never been to a gym class before where I wasn't if not the best, one of the best in class. In Crossfit I am definitely one of the worst. Even in the introductory class I was towards the bottom. I have already discovered my nemesis are cleans, followed closely by burpies. It took me many reps to get the right form and I am still not even sure.

After just three weeks of doing classes my back already feels better. I am drinking the cool aid for sure. I am no where near up to the times and the weights the regulars are at, but I know I'll get there. I would rather take it slow and escape injury. I look forward to sharing my progress with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment