Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Race Report: Seahawks 12/5k Renton Landing

First of all I must start off by announcing, yes I am pregnant. This blog will turn into how I am managing my work outs and not to stuff my face over the next six months. After the baby gets here I'll talk about how I am managing to get back into shape afterwards. I am not looking forward to how hard it is going to be, but I know the new addition to our family is worth it. I am currently 13 weeks along, due October 20th. My next post will be all about how I have managed thus far. It has been a struggle, let me tell you!

I originally signed up for the Seahawks 12k (7.5 miles), before I found out I was pregnant and had every intention of still doing it. Since then I have only been able to manage two six mile runs in month two and both of those I spent the last three miles having to pause to dry heave every half mile. Needless to say half way through my third month I decided attempting the 12k was not a good idea. Especially at Seahawks they don't allow walkers for the 12k (their permits don't allow road closures for long enough). Fortunately, the Seahawks also allow a 5k run/walk and I knew I could at least walk that.

Seahawks start and finish

There were A LOT more people this year! Last year maybe a thousand people lined up at the start. This year there was over 3,000. I think next year they need to split the start times for the 12k and the 5k runners. A lot of the 5k walkers clogged up the front of the line. It was really annoying and I wasn't even racing for time.

I felt really good at the start. I wanted to go faster, but knew I should hold back. I had not run a full three miles in almost a month. I felt great through mile two. Mile three is when I started to get tired and a little nauseous. I knew my legs weren't tired though so that is what prevented me from stopping and walking.

Here are my splits:
Mile 1     10:14
Mile 2     10:10
Mile 3     10:11
Mile 3.1  8:17
Me on the left at the finish. Recognize the jacket?

Overall it was a fun race. My finish tile was 31:42. I'll take it. I was not racing and it isn't too much slower from my last 5k. Looking at my Garmin it looks like my heart rate got way too high. I think it was picking up other monitors at the start. I do not think 223 beats per minute is right at all. I have noticed it having this problem at the start of other races. My average heart rate was 173, which seems closer to correct, but still a little higher than I would prefer given my current condition.

I liked the changes the race organizers made in the course. It was much more intuitive. The course for the 5k was not a challenge. It is all flat, so another good beginner 5k race. None of the players were there this year due to the lock out. I really enjoyed getting my water from Brandon Mebane last year. Blitz and the cheerleaders were still at the race though.

I'll use signing up for the 12k next year as my motivation to get my mileage back up and to get back in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment