Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Diary of a four mile walk

I decided on Saturday I wanted to check out Kirkland Uncorked, which is my town's small town festival for the summer. Ironically it being a wine festival, you would think I wouldn't want to participate. They have a lot of booths with local artists and good food. I was at least able to check that stuff out. It is amazing how I treated my impending four mile walk almost like I would a ten mile run. I remember when I though an 8 mile run was easy. I can't wait to get back there again.

I packed up my back pack for my walk. I made sure to fill up a bottle of water and grabbed my wallet. I meant to grab some Swedish Fish in case I needed a pick me up but I headed out the door and was a half mile down when I realized I forgot them. At least I had some cash for a snack.

On my trip to downtown I focused on not getting lost. I took a different route than I would drive there and it tours through a bunch of neighborhoods. I have run through there before, but it has been almost a year. About an hour later I managed not to get lost and made my way to Downtown Kirkland.

I looked longingly at the wine garden. All those happy people chatting and getting drunk. That was not to be me. Maybe next year. Other than that, I felt pretty good. I did a quick tour of all the booths and didn't find anything that caught my fancy. I walked over to a small children's store that was downtown, but they have reduced their inventory quite a bit and they only had summer stuff, so that was a bust. I decided to turn back home.

The walk home I did along the main road for a change of scenery. I didn't feel tired until I hit the last mile. At that point my feet started to hurt and I could feel my body swell up. Luckily my sister called me during the last half of that mile to distract me the rest of the way. When I got home I put my throbbing feet up and collapse on the couch. For the first time I couldn't get my wedding ring off my finger. It took three hours for the swelling to go down enough.

I was really happy I made my afternoon trip. It took me almost two hours and I was exhausted, but it felt good. That's what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment