Sunday, July 22, 2012

Back up to six miles

I am not sure why I made this a milestone for myself, but being able to run six miles again makes me feel like a real runner. Finally, after two setbacks since having Hailey I can run a straight six miles again.

I didn't do it by following any particular training program. I just followed what I know from training for my other half's. Once I felt strong enough on my three mile runs, I did four mile runs for two weeks. Then I did two weeks of five mile runs. Now I am finally at six. I'll probably do another week or two at six before I try for seven. I have been taking things really slow speed wise. My pace per mile is 11:30 and I will admit I stopped to walk up some hills twice. My three mile pace is finally down in the low ten minute mile range. My goal is to work my way up to an eight mile run on the week ends and then work a little more on speed. As I build distance the speed on the shorter runs will get easier.

Here is what my current weekly work out schedule looks like:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 3 mile
Wednesday - Crossfit
Thursday - rest
Friday - Crossfit
Saturday - 3 mile
Sunday - long run

I'm using Crossfit for all my speed work, since we do run in there on occasion and it is usually sprints when we do run. Speaking of Crossfit, I got some new work out gear. The first thing I purchased was a much needed new gym bag from Running Warehouse. My old one did not hold all my shower supplies very well. My new one also has a separate zip section for my shoes. I know this is not break through technology, but it is a big deal to me.

I also purchased New Balance minimalist running shoes for Crossfit (from the Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale). I had heard minimalist shoes are great for Crossfit because it allows you to really feel the floor while lifting. I can say after my first day wearing them in the gym, I did notice a difference. I did not feel as stable in my old running sneakers. I haven't run in them yet, so we'll see how that goes.

My new babies
Eating healthy is going okay. Having to get up at 5 or 6:30 in the morning to work out is great motivation to eat well the nights before I have to get up to work out. I do tend to go a little crazy on the nights before a rest day though (vodka anyone?). We also have a ton of smores stuff in the house left from our forth of July BBQ. H doesn't eat it so I feel like I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment