Saturday, March 26, 2011

Home Gym

I have been working on building my home gym little by little over the winter. Eventually I hope to be able to save money on my gym membership by just putting it on hold during the summer. When I get a treadmill to get me though the winters, I hope to cancel it completely.

A must for my work outs from home are a set of free weights. I asked for 5lb, 8lb, and 10lb weights. The 5lb ones I use more for balance exercises like star poses or side planks. The 8lb ones I use for bicep curls and over head presses. The 10lb weights I like for chest presses and days I am feeling really strong.

I also got a 8lb Danskin toning ball. It is filled with sand and is squishy, so it is easy to grip. The ball also works really well for balance exercises or things like leg lifts, since it is easier to hold in place than a free weight and smaller than a medicine ball. I also use it in place of my medicine ball on occasion for ab work outs.

My favorite piece of equipment is the Bosu. I bought the pro version because they home version has mixed reviews on the quality. I figured it is worth the extra 50 dollars. The Bosu adds the extra challenge I need while lifting. It also helps work my core at the same time since I am forced to balance. It makes me engage my abs so I make sure to protect my back. I use it most for legs, but it can be used for a ton of exercises.

I also have two medicine balls, a 10lb for H and a 6lb one for me. I like medicine balls if I am working out with H or for ab exercises. They are great for bouncing too, but I have yet to work out at home on a surface that really lends to that type of pounding.

H also has two 30lb dumbbells. I do not touch those. Someday I might add a extra heavy kettlebell to my set of weights, but it isn't a priority right now. I have enough to get me by. Kettlebells are pretty expensive, but great for a core work out. They really work different muscles than a regular weight would. I still have my gym membership, so if I really want to use one I'll go there.

Horray for home work outs!


My home gym


No comments:

Post a Comment