Thursday, May 5, 2011

Race Report: Spokane Bloomsday

Sunday was the 35th Annual Spokane Bloomsday Run. This year over 60,000 people signed up. I have not been able to find any data yet on how many finished. It doesn't matter any way. That is a lot of people. We made the trip over to the mountains in pretty good time. We made a stop at the Road House Grill for lunch in Ellensburg and our friend's mom made her annual home made lasagna for us to eat for our prerace dinner (yum!). All tired out from our journey, I went to bed at 9pm.

The weather was unseasonably cold for Spokane this time of year. The temperature at start time was 44 degrees. Knowing the forecast, I packed layers to wear, and my running gloves. I was really worried about, for lack of a better word, all my snot production due to my pregnancy. It is worse in the cold, which makes me more likely to gage and barf.

The next morning our wake up call was at 6:30am. I got up after an okay night's sleep and I had a major head ache. I forgot to pack my mouth guard and I had been grinding my teeth all night. My stomach also did not feel very good. I made sure to go upstairs and eat a small breakfast. I had oatmeal, a piece of toast, a banana, and some coffee. At that point I took some aspirin for my head ache. I went back downstairs to use the bathroom before we left. My stomach started doing flip flops. I barely made it to the bathroom when I lost my entire breakfast. I was so upset. I really needed the fuel for the morning. Not only that, I was really worried about how the race itself would go. On a normal day I probably would have gotten back in bed, but everyone was waiting for me to leave for the start line, so I collected myself and got in the car.

The entire car ride over I made sure to sip water. I contemplated the whole way whether or not I should run. It could be a really miserable 7.5 miles or it could be that my stomach would settle and all would be okay. I decided that I didn't go all the way to Spokane to just hang out and go home, so I kissed H good bye (he was sitting on the side lines due to his injury) and slowly walked to my green bib corral to wait for the start.

I love the race corals for large races. All the body heat kept me warm and the sun really helped too. It was amazing to look out to the sea of people in front and behind be. I made sure to line up at the end of the green pack, since I knew I would be much slower than the others in the corral. I was too stubborn to move back a corral from where I qualified last year. It turned out to be a really good choice to stay in the same corral. I think I must have just missed qualifying for yellow last year. Maybe next year I can "prove it" and move up a corral. :)

It was a long, cold, wait in my pin to cross the starting line, but 25 minutes later I finally did. It was hard to start out since I was so cold and stiff from waiting. I did a good job at staying at a slow and steady pace, despite the temptation to take off like all the others. I just laughed on the inside because I knew in about half a mile they would get tired from their sprint and I would start passing them.

Soon enough I did. I actually passed people! I also started to feel really good. I just took things slow and steady. I didn't have any problems with my stomach at all. I was feeling so good, It was hard to make myself stop from running the hills. The first three miles were awesome.

After that it felt like the baby woke up from what ever nap it was taking. It started to feel like I was getting poked. It didn't hurt, it was more like a "cut it out mom, I'm trying to chill out in here". It made me smile, and I kept on going. I knew as long as it didn't hurt the baby was fine. He or she needs to get used to running any way :)  We will be doing a lot of that together.

I got a lot of comments on my shirt. About five people taped me on the sholder and told me how awesome it was. One man said I was sending a really great message. I heard other people comment on it from behind me. A couple times even, when I passed guys, I heard them say common we need to get moving if she is passing us.

Doomsday Hill is right before the end of mile five. Last year that is what really tired me out. This year I knew better to even attempt to run it. As soon as I hit a decent incline I stopped to walk. It really helped me save my energy for the last two miles. I felt much better running them this year than the last. I was so thankful.

My finish time was 1:32:10, just a hair slower than my goal, but I really don't care. I finished the race, felt good, and didn't barf. Biggest thing of all, I had a blast! I love Bloomsday. It's so well organized it puts other larger races to shame. Race organizers should really mentor with the Bloomsday organizers. I can't wait until next year already. Below is my mile splits, if you are interested.

1         11:14
2         11:49
3         12:56
4         11:53
5         13:12
6         13:03
7         12:08
8         11:00

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your race reviews .. that is so awesome that you are continuing to run while pregnant!! I hope that when I get pregnant with #2 I am able to do the same..but we shall see about that!! I am hoping to run Bloomsday next year, all my inlaws live in Spokane so it's been a part of their lives :)

    ReplyDelete