Saturday, May 28, 2011

Vacation Run Big Island Hawaii

Sorry for the long break. I just got back from nine days on the big island of Hawaii. We stayed just 25 minutes North of Kona. My goal for the trip was to get in quite a few runs. I packed a ton of work out clothes. It did not happen like I thought it would. Either running in Hawaii is hard, or running while pregnant in Hawaii is really hard. I think both is probably true. I ended up only doing two runs, a three mile run and a two mile run. I also did some lap swimming in the pool and a few short walks. I decided that was more than good enough for a vacation week.

Unlike my Maui trip, this time I made sure to get up right away and get going on my runs before the sun got too intense. I knew if I waiting until the afternoon I would never make it. The first run I did was along the coast line. It stretched from the house we were staying in to the Fairmont Orchid Hotel. The run was flat, but pretty difficult due to having to run through several sandy beach trails. Besides my normal slowness, I had to stop to walk quite a few times. I just got too tired. The run is posted at the bottom of this post.


View of one of the beaches I ran through
 The second run I did ran along the road inside the resort area. The view consisted mostly of lava rocks and the golf course. The miles of lava rocks reminded me of when I watch the Iron Man race in Hawaii and everyone looks hot and near death during the marathon portion. I ran a mile before I decided to just turn around. The baby was just too uncomfortable. I decided her or she was right about the run needing to end.

I will miss Hawaii. This time I do not know when I will be back. I know I will be though. Until then, I will dream of being able to run there again and getting a good nap in by the pool afterward. Here is to a warm Seattle summer. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment