Friday, May 13, 2011

Race (Spectator) Report: Kirkland Half Marathon

Just to start out, I did not run the Kirkland Half Marathon/5k. I might have had I had an easier time running the begining part of my pregnancy, but I didn't so that is that. The course does pass near my house, though. One of my good friends was running it too, so I decided to take part in the fun.

It was a dreary, cold, Pacific Northwest morning. The start time for the race was 7:30 am. Talia (my friend running) set a goal to run about ten minute miles, so I set my alarm for 7:40. I got up and looked out the window. The walkers were just walking along the main road. I got dressed and started a pot of coffee. Then I grabbed my neon green "go talia" sign and walked out to the course. By the time I made it out there, most of the elite runners had passed and it was still mostly walkers passing by. (I should explain, you can walk the half marathon too, the walkers start before the runners... just in case you hadn't figured that out yet.) I am not the best cheerleader. I am good at making signs, but not so good at the yelling. Talia became popular with the people walking by, so they were doing the cheering for me. One man even declared that he was Talia. I think the real Talia would argue that.

I had to start looking really hard once the crowd of runners started to pass. There were a lot of white hats like hers running by. Talia saw me first and smiled. She loved her sign. I wish it was later in the race she ran into me, but I am sure it helped boast her over some of the hills she still had to run the next three miles of the course.

I went back inside, where it was warm and dry for the next hour. That coffee I made tasted sooo good. At 8:45am I started to make the walk down to the finish line. I met up with the course at the mile 12 marker. I debated on waiting there for Talia or to keep going for a little while. I decided to walk and knowing she would catch up with me soon. About a half mile down she did. I think I was almost more excited to see her than she was to see the finish. I ran with her a little ways and when I got too hot from all my layers I told her to go pass these girls 10 yards in front of her. I caught up with her at the finish line. Her time? 2:13 and some change! I'm so impressed. The Kirkland half is no easy course. I'm sure the next simpler course she does she will get under two hours.

We walked around the vendor booths to check them out. I bought a running skirt and some compression socks. (I will post a review for them soon.) I said goodbye to Talia and her husband. Then I walked my way back home. I was sad I could not be part of the race, but at least I got to participate in the way I could. I also got my exercise for the morning with the long walk to the finish. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I really need to get better at that for you guys. Talia, I hope you don't mind being part of my blog this week. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What a great recap! Now I know what happened backstage. :o) I LOVED your sign and you got me through two of the hardest parts of the race: 1. That Market St hill and, 2. the last 10th of a mile.

    Thanks again for coming out! Next year we'll run it together.

    ReplyDelete