Sunday, August 7, 2011

My personal struggle with Yoga

I have what I guess what I call a hate/dislike relationship with yoga. I know it is good for my body and many people get really toned from it, but it just doesn't feel like a good work out to me. With limited time to work out during the week, I just don't have the time to fit in an hour long yoga session. I also find it pretty boring. I tried hot yoga once and got really ill during it (I admit I ran three miles in 90 degree heat before hand and hadn't eaten enough, but it was enough to turn me off from the experience).

I purchased a prenatal yoga DVD a couple months back thinking it would be more difficult than it currently is for me to do my regular work outs and it would be a good substitute. This past Friday I had planned to go to the pool, but I got off work late and didn't really feel up to making the trip to the gym. So I came home, changed, and popped in my yoga DVD.

There are three different ladies in the video. One is supposed to be the first trimester lady, the second the second trimester and then the third trimester lady. Being that I am small for my third trimester I followed the second trimester lady most of the time (plus I like to think I am hard core like that ;) ). I got bored about 10 minutes in, but stuck with it. It had to get more exciting right? The middle of the video did get more difficult, so it held my attention better. I was still bored though. Another thing I really don't like about the video is there is only one session for prenatal yoga and one for post natal. Good thing I got it on sale. I could probably find something similar On Demand for free.

My favorite part was the end. You get to lie down and take a nap.... Well you aren't supposed to fall asleep but that is pretty much what it looks like. All in all I did feel pretty good afterwards, it felt almost the same as getting a massage and much cheaper. I would still rather go get a massage, though. Bottom line, yoga will still be a last resort work out for me. I don't think it will ever be apart of my regular weekly routine. To seal the deal, the next morning our cat, McGuyver, threw up on my yoga dvd. I think he was trying to send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment