Monday, February 28, 2011

Half Marathon Series - Water

Water is important and on hot days or anything longer than seven miles. During those runs you are probably going to want to carry some with you.

Some people do just plan their long runs around water stops (Jack in the Box here, Starbucks there, drinking fountain over there). That is great for refilling water bottles, but I am the type to slowly sip along the way. Plus once the temperatures start warming up water becomes even more important. Here are some ideas for carrying water.

Handheld water bottle - This is a great option for shorter runs. H purchased the one linked. I like to "borrow" it on short runs during hot days. The water is carried in hand. I switch hands every mile or so.

Hydration belts - The one linked is mine. I like the metal circle in the back because it helps the belt move on my hips, so it stays in place pretty well. It is worn low on the hips.

Holster Hydration Waist Pack - I have seen these more on marathon runners. Not sure what the difference is. Perhaps if I start doing some marathons I will give it a try.

Multiple bottle belts - These are belts usually worn around the smallest part of the waste and carry as much as four bottles. Personally that is a lot of extra weight to carry. I would rather stop and refill my two bottles. I see a lot of guys wearing these types of belts. Once again, not sure why, but a lot of dudes wear them.

The other thing to think about is if a sports drink is appropriate in those bottles. I personally dislike Gatorade during a work out. It gives me heart burn and upsets my stomach. The best thing I have found is CytoMax. They served during Seattle RNR and I have never felt more hydrated during a race. I also like GU Brew for recovery after runs. It has protein in it, so I wouldn't carry it during. In the winter months I usually go without a sports drink, but during the summer it is helpful. After tough winter work outs I just like to guzzle water and have a protein smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment