Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Half Marathon Series Posts - Fuel

It is the end of February which means the sun might start coming out in Seattle again (although it is currently snowing here right now, so who would really know). This also means the start to race season. Some runners may be thinking about starting to train for their first half marathon. Hopefully they have already picked out a training plan, but if you are one of the ones who has not, I mention a few in this post here.

Today's topic is fuel. One thing I have learned is fuel is very personal and there is not a "best" option. Fuel is needed for ever hour out doing physical activity. I take it with me if I am doing nine or more miles, but in the beginning I would take some for seven miles, pausing at 3.5 for a snack. In order to narrow down what H and I liked we bought a bunch of different types from the running store and found what worked. Even asking the guys at the counter what they liked all three of them had different answers. Anyhow, below is a breakdown of the different types I am aware of. Some I have tried, some I have not. If you have your own favorite post it in the comments.

GU - GU is what the name says. It is a jelly paste consistency. It reminds me a little of hair gel, except a little thicker. Honestly, it makes me gag. That is just me though. A lot of people are huge fans. I have heard girls say they like the chocolate or vanilla flavor because it tastes like frosting. I will stick to real frosting thank you very much. There are many different brands of Gu, the GU brand tends to be the most popular though.

Cliff Shot Blocks - These are my personal choice. They taste like extra gummy fruit snacks. Shot blocks go down pretty easy and do not give me a stomach ache. Shot blocks are sticky on the teeth, so it usually takes a couple swigs of water to wash it down. Beware of chewing them in dusty environments, your teeth might get coated in dirt. GU also makes a brand on shot blocks called Chomps. I have not tried those.

Sport Beans - These are jelly beans full of electrolytes, sugar, and carbs to give you energy. To me they are not best for running. I cannot imagine trying to put a bunch in my mouth and chew while I continue to run. I think they would be great for hiking or for transitioning in between sports. Or you can eat them before setting out.

Natural foods - All sports fuel is really made of are sugars, carbs, and electrolytes. In a pinch just grab some real jelly beans or a fruit roll up. Just try to pick something with natural ingredients in it, like real fruit. It will not help with hydration, but it will give you energy. Leave the protein bars at home though. Those are really meant to refuel before or after a work out (depending on what type you buy).

To caffeine or not to caffeine?
Many of these different products have the option to buy them with caffeine or with out. That is another personal choice. Just be careful you do not take in too much or you will get dehydrated. My favorite is the shot blocks with half a shot of coffee. It gives me a little energy for the way home, but does not leave me dying of thirst.

Go to the running store, spend ten dollars and try out some different types on the shorter of the long runs.



No comments:

Post a Comment