Friday, June 10, 2011

Product Review: Running Skirts

I spent a frustrating summer last year trying to find a pair of running shorts that didn't look like my thighs ate them after I started out on a jog. I've tried several different types, but haven't had any luck. On different chat boards I had heard some girls swear by running skirts as an alternative. It was worth a shot, but which one to try? I decided I would start with the original Running Skirt and I have fallen in love.

In my running skirt in Hawaii, tank by Lululemon
Running skirt offers two styles, one with a brief liner and one with a bikini liner. I choose the brief liner. Luckily, I bought my skirt from a representativein a booth at the Kirkland Half Marathon. She recommended I buy a size down to prevent the briefs from riding up. There is no way my running/lifting behind is a size 4/6, but that is what she put me in. I wore my skirt for my runs in Hawaii and for doing stairs and I have had no issues with the shorts riding up. It is a minor miracle.

The Running Skirts line is designed by two twin moms. I love that it is designed by women (probably why they fit so well). These women are real athletes too. They sell other apparel besides the skirts. I also bought a pair of compression socks from them. The socks are a great price (for compression socks) and the colors compliment the skirts. Running skirts also offers a maternity skirt, but I am not sure if it worth it. I personally do not like things that go up and over my belly. I find my hips and butt are enough to keep my pants up currently. The regular skirts are low rise enough, my belly does not get in the way. There is a diagram on the website showing a woman wearing her skirt all the way through her pregnancy, which gives me hope I will be able to too. I bought it a month ago and no problems so far (knock on wood).

The only thing I do not like about running skirts is the price. They are pretty expensive. I recommend signing up for their email list and grabbing coupons if you see them at an event. So far my skirt is well worth the money and if it lasts a long time it will be worth slowing building up my skirt wardrobe.

I have heard some female runners say it is too girly to wear a skirt while running. It is not "hard core" enough. Anyone who knows me knows I am not a girly girl. I just like clothes that fit and the better I look in my work out clothes the better I feel. Some of the running girl designs are pretty girly. I just won't buy those ones. :) I've slowly built up a collection of running apparel and proud to say that I look pretty cute while being covered in sweat. For those of you who don't have monster thighs I won't judge you in your shorts that stay put. Don't judge me in my skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment