Saturday, October 30, 2010

Half Marathon Training Programs

This blog is a special request of a friend of mine. Below are links to some half marathon training programs. If you know of any more you really like, please post it in the comments.

Hal Higdon
This one is a favorite on a lot of the running and fitness chat boards I visit.

Cool Running
This is the training program I have used for my two half marathons. I liked it and I was successful, even though in the later weeks I was not very good at getting in the longer week day runs. I also substituted one of the running days for a cross training day. That day usually included some time on the elliptical and some lifting.

Runner's World
Runner's World magazine has had some really good ones. Especially for those who have run a couple half marathons already and are looking to train for a specific pace. I will probably look for one of these next.

Jeff Galloway's Plans
Jeff's is another popular plan. I am not familiar with it, but here's a link.

Things you want to consider before picking a plan -
1) How long do you have to train? Is it 8 weeks or 6 months? You want to pick a plan that meets your time limit. Be realistic too. If you can't run the first week of the training program pretty easily, you aren't ready to sign up for a half yet. Try a shorter distance training program first. Also, if you have a long time until your half, like 6 months, try a 12k training program to build up the first three months and then start a half program. That is what I did for my first half and it worked really well.
2) Does it fit with in your normal work out schedule? This is important. If you like to mix things up, pick a plan that has more cross training in it. If you only have three or four days a week to run, find one that meets that. Just remember, don't skip your longest run days and one day during the week should include some speed and hill work.

If anyone out there reading this has some more tips please include then in the comments below.

1 comment: