Friday, January 14, 2011

Healthy Eating - Soups

I have been cooking a lot this week (well for me). H cooks all the time. We eat pretty healthy, but I wanted to try some new things. Plus we have a lot of Spinach and some Zucchini to eat we got from our Sound Organics bin. I wanted to make sure it got eaten.

The first recipe I made I got out of my Sound Organics bin. This recipe is NOT clean eating compliant, but could easily be altered to be so.

Chicken and Spinach Soup

Ingredients
6 oz of chicken breasts
6 oz of fresh spinach
4 cups chicken stock
2t soy sauce (I used the low sodium kind)
2t spring onions (I used yellow onions), chopped finely
2t sugar

Instructions
Blanch the spinach in boiling water, until they are just wilted
Pour cold water over spinach leaves
Slice chicken breasts thinly
Boil chicken breasts (in a different pot) for about two minutes, until they are white and slightly firm
Drain spinach and chicken
Bring chicken stock to a simmer, then add soy sauce and the sugar
Add spinach and chicken
Bring soup back to simmer, then add onions
Serve hot

The soup turned out pretty good. If I had to make it again I would probably add some tofu. It reminds me a lot of Miso soup with chicken it.

The other recipe I made is a chicken tortilla soup recipe from my new favorite blog, Clean Eating Machines. The only thing I changed from her recipe is I added yellow onions to this one too and I did not double the zucchini. H probably wouldn't eat it if I did. I am looking forward to eating left overs tonight for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment