Thursday, January 27, 2011

Run Fail

This week has been a really crazy week for me to get things done. I feel like I am sprinting everywhere. Even now as I write this I have to head to the gym for class in four minutes, but I am taking the time to get this blog post started so I can post it for my loyal fans. I really need to post more photos for you guys. This is one of my goals in the upcoming year. Once I get a new cell phone, with better picture resolution, hopefully it will get easier.

Lets start out with the failures this week. I wanted to do an eight mile run this past week end on Sunday, but went out late with friends Saturday night. I also had plans to watch football with friends on Sunday so I didn't have much time to squeeze in a run. Turns out I slept in too late and only had time for a four miler. Sleep = more important than running (most of the time, and since I slept so long I think I really needed it). I did five miles on the treadmill the next day as my punishment. It was not fun, but I did it. One of my good friends told me five mile on the treadmill equals 15 miles outside. I like that math.

My eating habits have been okay. My thought process is I am never on a diet. I just try to eat as healthy as I can in any given situation. Football has had a big impact in my eating too. We had pizza on Sunday for lunch. I made an effort to fill up on the fresh fruit that was also there before I went for the pizza. When we went out for dinner the same night I got a veggie burger (which I have fallen in love with again since last fall) instead of a real one. I did not drink any beer, but did have rum with Coke Zero (and two cocktails the night before). It could have been worse and I am not officially training for a race right now, so in my mind the little extra indulgences are okay.

Even though I am feeling slightly disappointed about the past week, I did do some things well. I worked out five days in a row. I could have easily skipped a work out. I don't like to do that many work outs back to back. I find I have higher quality work outs if I have a rest day after two or three days, but my schedule didn't allow it.

My runs did go pretty well. I was able to do that five miles on the treadmill, even though it felt like torture (my heart rate got up to 191!). I did a four mile run that goes up and down hill most of the time (300ft elevation). Usually on the up hill portions my pace is in the upper 10 minute or lower 11 minute mile range. I stayed under 10 minutes the entire time. During my interval training on Tuesday I was easily able to stay at a 9 minute mile pace. Granted I probably should have speed up, but at this point I was happy to even be doing it. I think I should be able to make my 9 minute mile pace goal for my 5k I have coming up in two and a half weeks.

Overall my pace is getting faster and I can tell I have been pushing myself since my heart rate is getting so high. Here is to a week of some quality training (and the next two days off!).

Thursday - Rest
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 3m run (weights too if I have time)
Sunday - 9m run
Monday - off
Tuesday - Intervals on the treadmill, 3.5 miles
Wednesday - Gravity and Elliptical for a warm up

No comments:

Post a Comment